RaiYai

Can you swim in the Chao Phraya River?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Adam

I have never seen anyone swimming in that river before, is it too polluted or just dangerous for swimming? Even fishing boats were hard to find

#13446 Reply
    Donald

wtf is Chao Phraya River lol

#13447 Reply
    Diane

wtf is Chao Phraya River lol

The river that goes through Bangkok!!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/bangkok-rediscovers-the-magic-of-its-legendary-river

#13448 Reply
    Doris

Maybe the better question, “why would you want to swim there” it is a very busy river with so many tour boats. Probably tons of dead bodies and trash all over the riverbed. Remember that celebrity who was killed partying with her friends a few years ago? NO THANKS

#13449 Reply
    Martha

Thai people dont really like swimming

#13450 Reply
    Gary

wtfffff since when do Thai people hate swimming first I have heard of that. they are tropical country ffs

#13451 Reply
    Dennis
    #13460 Reply
    Paul

SURE! If you like swimming with dead bodies!!!!

#13463 Reply
    Charles

just do it bro and share on TikTok everyone is eagerly waiting 😉

#13464 Reply
    Marilyn
    #13465 Reply
    Judy

from your NASA page:

The poorest water quality is found in the southernmost reaches of the river, which directly flows through the administrative capital.

#13467 Reply
    Edward

@Marilyn that video appears rather far away from large cities like Bangkok

#13468 Reply
    Helen

Are there any dangers in swimming in the rivers?
    byu/Altomckee inThailand

Some good bits from here

“I would not swim in any rivers in Thailand unless you started at the head water where the river begins. Thai people are not respective of what they put in their water and rivers. Some of the houses are built on stilts above rivers and have open holes in the floors in which to defecate and urinate. If the river goes through a couple of high populated village areas I would definitely not swim in it. The practice of treating water before it is drained into the canals that lead to the rivers of Thailand is very very poor.”

Also:

“I saw Thai people walking and swimming in Chaophraya river and in Bangkok canals. That’s most certainly not my cup of tea. Thing that I noticed is that they always stick to the shore. My advice is, ask yourself would you do it in your country? Also, if you decide you would, then observe locals, where they go swimming and what they do. Currents could be strong and treacherous, wildlife dangerous, just to have in mind. There is a website farangdeathsDotcom, where you can check how many people died and how. Drowning is high on a list. Other than that, Ping river looks nice, would definitely dip my toes in it. Or try fishing, that’s a lovely sport!”

#13528 Reply
    Amanda

better question:
    why the hell would you want to?

#13531 Reply
    Noah

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d450968-r358215416-Chao_Phraya_River-Bangkok.html

Not a RIver you want to swim in ;)

“Chao Phraya is the drainage from Bangkok…most of the waste water goes into the ChaoPhraya RIver and lots of chemicals from nearby leather factories which colour leather for everything, from couches to expensive sportscars.”

I must say that, I agree with this person!!

#13532 Reply
    Gregory

no thanks.

#13533 Reply
    Roy

From 2002 but interesting look at the trash and bacteria history

Chao Phya: A River Fraught with Danger

#13572 Reply
    Nicole

lmfao at this thread….

#13573 Reply
    Cynthia

This is the most important question that tourists want to know before visiting Thailand.

#13577 Reply
    Brittany
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Can you swim in the Chao Phraya River?